Thursday 20 October 2011

Winter is upon us

While not as familiar, or astronomically-defined, as either the solstices or equinoxes, today is another special day in the calendar. It is the first day after the summer solstice on which I have worn trousers, rather than shorts, to cycle to work. As my choice of attire this morning was based on ambient air temperature, clearly winter is upon us.

Spring, defined here at Strange News as the first day that fingerless gloves are worn in preference to full gloves, is anticipated to arrive in late February or early March 2012.

2 comments:

Graham said...

As Ned Stark said - 'Winter is Coming'

I've cut the grass for the last time, stockpiled 50kg of rock salt (might need more though., lagged an overflow pipe from the water tank that froze and backed up into the house last year - and winter tyres are going on the car tomorrow.

There's been snow down to 600m in the last week (we're at 150m)...

Plumbago said...

As you may have gathered from a later blog post, I don't do fantasy. So Ned Stark is lost to me. Though his creator, George R. R. Martin, did write one of my favourite (science fiction) short stories, The Way of Cross and Dragon.

Winter tyres? Man ...

As it turns out, my switch to trousers was short-lived, and I've been back in shorts this week. I suspect they'll be getting put to the bottom of the drawer until spring after my upcoming visit north.